GENERAL SANTOS CITY — The Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) in Region 12 has temporarily suspended the development of a vital road network at an upland village in South Cotabato following a landmine attack by suspected New People’s Army (NPA) rebels last week that left three people dead.
Reynaldo Tamayo, DPWH Region 12 director, said Monday they stopped all development works involving the PHP80 million Surallah-Lake Sebu road project pending the resolution of the area’s security problems.
He said the project’s private contractor Gemma Construction Corp. has pulled out from the area following the killing of one of its engineers in an attack staged by NPA rebels at the construction site in Sitio Lamsuguing, Barangay Upper Sepaka in Surallah town last July 9.
Two alleged NPA rebels were reported killed while three other militiamen were wounded in an ensuing firefight. “We have no choice but to temporarily stop the project as the private contractor has already left the site due to concerns regarding the security of its personnel,” Tamayo said in a radio interview. (PNA)