By Edwin Iyo
MISAMIS Oriental Gov. Yevgeny Vincente Emano expressed his full support for the postponement of the Barangay and Sangguniang Kabataan Elections, this year, should the national government decides to do so.
“I will support it,” Emano told Gold Star Daily.
The Barangay and Sangguniang Kabataan Elections were supposedly scheduled last October but it was rescheduled for May 14, this year.
Emano said there is a possibility that the elections will be postponed again.
Earlier this week, the Department of Interior and Local Government disseminated an information on the Commission on Elections En Banc Order E.M No 17-410(BRGY) for Mindanao. The order was approved last Dec. 21.
“In the matter of the conduct of a public hearing for determination of the factual basis to suspend May 14, 2018, Barangay and Sangguniang Kabataan Elections in the whole Mindanao,” the order reads in part.
Conduct of public hearings on the order has been scheduled in Zamboanga City on Jan. 22 and in Cotabato City on Jan. 29.
Emano said he has yet to receive the Comelec order but if the postponement will be approved he will follow.
“In view of the Resolution of both Houses No.13, for further extension of the proclamation of martial law and the suspension of the privilege of Habeas Corpus of the whole Mindanao for the period of one year from Jan. 2 to Dec. 31, the Commission En Banc hereby Orders as follows: To conduct public hearing to direct the Clerk of the Commission to notify the DILG, National Youth Commission, Liga ng mga Barangay, SK and other concerned agencies,” the order reads.