Home | Top Stories | It’s Baban vs Contreras on first day of filing of candidacy papers
Barangay Macasandig councilor Nixon Baban files his certificate of candidacy for mayor while his supportive wife Susan looks on. At right, another mayoral hopeful Benjamin Contreras files his certificate to the Commission on Elections.

It’s Baban vs Contreras on first day of filing of candidacy papers

By NITZ ARANCON
Correspondent .

A BARANGAY councilor was the first to submit a certificate of candidacy for the city’s mayoral post.

As of 1 pm yesterday, barangay councilor Nixon Baban’s mayoral bid has been challenged by Benjamin Contreras who writes a column for this paper. Based on the Gold Star Daily’s editorial policy, Contreras automatically takes a break from column writing for this paper so that he would not have undue advantage over other candidates.

The two mayoral hopefuls are “independents.”

At around 3:40 pm, another filed his certificate of candidacy for city councilor. The candidate is Celso Bag-ao, said to be an estranged supporter of former mayor Vicente Emano.

Wearing an orange, black and white shirt and accompanied by his wife Susan, mother and grandfather, Baban was the first politician to file his certificate of candidacy at the local Comelec office. The Comelec officially received his papers at 8:27 am.

Baban said he made sure to be the first to file his certificate of candidacy because he believes in “luck.” He said he was also the first to submit his candidacy papers when he sought a seat in the barangay council of Macasandig last year, and he won.

“Basta una, buenas ko, ma-o nang una gyud ko nag-file sa akong COC,” said Baban who ran for city councilor in 2013 under the ticket of the then Misamis Oriental governor Oscar Moreno.

Baban, who has been advocating environmental causes, said he decided to run for mayor because he thinks he could do more for the environment.

“The administration of Mayor Moreno is good but kulang pa ang  programa sa environment kay gamay lang nga ulan, magbaha na ta,” he said.

The other mayoral hopeful, Contreras, submitted his papers at around 10:40 am. He was alone and was wearing a black t-shirt with the word “Papa” printed in bold letters across it.

Asked by a radio reporter about the position he aspires for, Contreras giggled and said, “Mayor.”

The Comelec opened its doors to candidates for next year’s elections yesterday. Except for this weekend, Comelec will be accepting certificates of candidacy until Oct. 17.

Facebooktwitter

About mindanao goldstar daily

mindanao goldstar daily
TREND MAKER. Mindanao Gold Star Daily was established in 1989 to set ablaze a new meaning & flame to the local newspaper business. Throughout the years it continued its focus and interest in the rural areas & pioneered the growth of countryside journalism.

Check Also

Approved in principle: P67-million peace, order budget hike

THE city’s legislators have already “approved in principle” a P67-million increase in the Moreno administration’s ...

DISCLAIMER: We welcome fiery exchanges but we do not tolerate ad hominem attacks, casting criminal and false aspersion on our reporters and opinion writers. We reserve the right to delete, reproduce or modify comments posted on our website without prior notice.


POSTING RULES: Do not use obscenity. Stick to the topic discussed. Do not veer away from the discussion and be respectful at all times. Do not use CAPITAL LETTERS as this means shouting in the thread.