THE City Council committee on social services chaired by Councilor Reuben Daba on its meeting last week invited Teddy Sabuga-a, OIC of City Social Welfare and Development (CSWD), to shed light on the P1 million check donated by the government of Zamboanga City for the Jan. 16 flood victims.
It may be recalled that Councilor Leon Gan reported that the city government received several donations after the flood, one is from the city government of Zamboanga.
During the meeting, Sabuga-a said the money is still intact.
He said Mayor Oscar Moreno intended to purchase a vehicle for disaster purposes, which will be marked in the name of the government of Zamboanga as donor.
Sabuga-a explained that instead of purchasing food items and other materials for the flood victims, the city mayor wanted to purchase a disaster vehicle for mobility purposes during disasters.
He said a bidding was held but no one participated since the amount is only P1 million.
He recommended that the City Disaster Risk Reduction Management Office requests additional amount for the purchase of the vehicle.
The committee referred the matter to the committee on police, fire and public safety chaired by Councilor Romeo Calizo for appropriate action. (clo)