Home | Davao | Rise in rape cases alarms authorities in Davao city
Davao City Police Office face a surprise drug test on Thursday morning. Photo by Robby Joy D. Salveron for Davao Today

Rise in rape cases alarms authorities in Davao city

DAVAO City — Davao City Police Office (DCPO) expressed concern over the increasing number of rape incidents victimizing children.

DCPO director Police Senior Supt. Alexander Tagum told reporters that last week alone, eight rape incidents involving children aged five to 12 years old were recorded, twice the number of incidents reported the other week.

“The suspects are taking advantage of the vulnerability of children because they know children can be easily fooled and threatened,” Tagum said.

Tagum did not provide the exact number of cases where suspects were charged except for these recent cases where seven of the eight suspects were already arrested. However, he said most of the cases were already filed, while in some cases he said families and victims “desisted from filing the case because they are relatives or close friend.”

Tagum added that most of the cases happened in urban poor areas, pointing that criminals have “easier access” in these areas due to the lack of security in homes.

Based on DCPO’s report, a total of 58 cases were recorded from January to September this year, higher than the 54 cases recorded in the same quarter last year.

He stressed that City Mayor Sara Duterte herself took note of the alarming rise of rape incidents during the City Peace and Order Council meeting last week.

The DCPO together with the personnel from City Social Services and Development Office seek to prevent rape cases through the new program by conducting activities to raise awareness among the young.

“If we can empower communities then we can assure that they will report and they will not disregard it. Rape happens because children do not know about the act being done to them,” Tagum explained. (davaotoday.com)

Facebooktwitter

About mindanao goldstar daily

mindanao goldstar daily
TREND MAKER. Mindanao Gold Star Daily was established in 1989 to set ablaze a new meaning & flame to the local newspaper business. Throughout the years it continued its focus and interest in the rural areas & pioneered the growth of countryside journalism.

Check Also

Group launches 2-day humanitarian mission

By NITZ ARANCON Correspondent HUMAN rights advocates launched the 3rd International Humanitarian Mission in Marawi ...

DISCLAIMER: We welcome fiery exchanges but we do not tolerate ad hominem attacks, casting criminal and false aspersion on our reporters and opinion writers. We reserve the right to delete, reproduce or modify comments posted on our website without prior notice.


POSTING RULES: Do not use obscenity. Stick to the topic discussed. Do not veer away from the discussion and be respectful at all times. Do not use CAPITAL LETTERS as this means shouting in the thread.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *