Home | Iligan | Suspended Iligan mayor: ‘Just around’
POLICE officials led by Chief Supt. Aaron Aquino (center) talk with Monsignor Jemar Veracruz (left), an ally of detained Iligan Mayor Celso Regencia outside the Iligan City jail on in April of 2016. Veracruz and other supporters of Regencia refused to allow the PNP to bring the detained official to a court in Initao, Misamis Oriental for arraignment. The mayor is charged with the ambush of Iligan Rep. Vicente Valmonte on Dec. 11, 2014 in Laguindingan, Misamis Oriental. MindaNews file photo by Froilan Gallardo

Suspended Iligan mayor: ‘Just around’

By NORA SORIÑO
GSD-Iligan Bureau chief .

ILIGAN City–“I am just around.”

Thus said Mayor Celso Regencia after the suspension order was served to him last week.

He then lashed out at the local opposition here led by ex-vice mayor Ruderic Marzo and former congressman Vicente Belmonte Jr. whom he said were responsible for his suspension. The suspended mayor said the two won’t stop at nothing just to “demolish” him.

Regencia cited his suspension in April 2015, and that, he said, was “through the maneuverings” of Marzo, Belmonte and their group.

His previous suspension which lasted six months, he said, was due to some “anomalies” which he uncovered and in which he did something about it. Among others, he said, he discovered “ghost employees” in the city council.

An alleged ghost employee, he said, signed special powers of attorney to allow the representative to collect the salary.

Regencia said he did something about the problem by issuing an executive order that directed the department heads that all employees’ claims should pass through the office of the mayor.

He said the order did did not sit well with Marzo’s group and so, they went to the Office of the President to complain. The complaint for abuse of authority, he said, resulted in his 2015 suspension.

It was unclear why Regencia cited a 2015 case that had nothing to do with his recent suspension order.

Meanwhile, Vice Mayor Jemar Vera Cruz, now acting mayor, directed city hall department heads to  “make an inventory of all the casual employees” of the city.

Facebooktwitter

About mindanao goldstar daily

mindanao goldstar daily
TREND MAKER. Mindanao Gold Star Daily was established in 1989 to set ablaze a new meaning & flame to the local newspaper business. Throughout the years it continued its focus and interest in the rural areas & pioneered the growth of countryside journalism.

Check Also

Capitol eyes P77m in taxes from port

By SHIELA MAE BUTLIG Correspondent . THE capitol is moving to collect some P77 million ...

DISCLAIMER: We welcome fiery exchanges but we do not tolerate ad hominem attacks, casting criminal and false aspersion on our reporters and opinion writers. We reserve the right to delete, reproduce or modify comments posted on our website without prior notice.


POSTING RULES: Do not use obscenity. Stick to the topic discussed. Do not veer away from the discussion and be respectful at all times. Do not use CAPITAL LETTERS as this means shouting in the thread.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *