By LITO RULONA
THE Cagayan de Oro City Police yesterday said it would welcome any case for police brutality against officers in connection with the death of a childape suspect last week.
City police director Senior Supt. Nelson Aganon said this as he responded to allegations made by 22-year old Neresa Candeleza.
Candeleza, a resident of Sitio Migkiwan, Barangay Bayanga, blamed the police for the death of her partner Christopher Redondo, 29, of Sitio Lomboy, Barangay Indahag.
Cogon police arrested Redondo on Thursday in Sitio Lomboy for allegedly raping an eight-year-old girl.
“We welcome the case. However, CCTV footages show no police brutality was done,” Aganon said.
He said CCTV cameras have been installed inside police stations in the city as part of the monitoring of what police officers have been doing during their duty.
Cocpo spokesperson Supt. Mardy Hortillosa II said an investigation has already started despite the absence of a formal complaint.
Hortillosa said Cocpo even assisted Candeleza for the immediate release of the medical autopsy results to determine the cause of death of her partner.
“This was also the order of our city police director to assist the wife of Redondo so as to erase doubts. We can even assist them in bringing the matter other law enforcement agencies like the National Bureau of Investigation so there would be an independent investigation,” he said.
Hortillosa said medical records from Northern Mindanao Medical Center show that the cause of death was cardiac arrest.