By FROILAN GALLARDO
Special Correspondent .
MALAYBALAY City – Agriculture Secretary William Dar on Monday cautioned local governments in Mindanao from banning the entry of pork and pork-based products in the wake of reported cases of the African Swine Fever in Luzon.
Dar, speaking to farmers in Bukidnon, said that local governments should wait for guidelines that would be issued by the agriculture department on the ASF.
“Unless there is a confirmed case of the African Swine Fever in the locality, the local government should not ban the entry of pork and pork-based products,” Dar said.
Dar said implementing a ban could cause major losses in the local swine industry in Mindanao.
Last week, the Misamis Oriental capitol ordered a ban while Cagayan de Oro Mayor Oscar Moreno was already asked to issue an executive order similar to Misamis Oriental Gov. Yevgeny Vincente Emano’s EO 2019-13.
Emano’s EO also created a task force that would oversee the implementation of the ban in Misamis Oriental.
Emano said the ban covers raw, processed and cooked pork products.
Cagayan de Oro veterinarian Dr. Perla Asis told local radio that the city would also implement a similar ban.