By FROILAN GALLARDO
Special correspondent .
OVER 795 new suspected denque cases were reported in various hospitals across northern Mindanao over the weekend, health officials, citing new data, said yesterday.
Dr. David Mendoza, head of the Regional Epidemiology, Surveillance and Disaster Response Unit (Resdru) of DOH here, said the province of Bukidnon topped the list of affected areas in Region 10.
Mendoza said because of the influx of new dengue cases reported in region, the number of dengue patients rose to 17,701 as of Aug. 17, 2019.
He said last week, figures and data pegged the number of cases to only 16,905 patients.
“There are still no signs that the dengue cases are going down. We are still in the danger zone,” Mendoza said.
The DOH-10 released the top five provinces, including the cities of Cagayan de Oro and Iligan, with the most dengue cases reported.
Topping the list is Bukidnon with 7,120 cases; second is the province ofMisamis Oriental, 2,853 cases; Lanao del Norte, 2, 514 cases; Misamis Occidental, 1837 cases; and the island province of Camiguin, 270 cases.
Cagayan de Oro has 1,978 cases reported this time among children of middle-class families. Iligan City have 1,129 cases.
Mendoza said the number of deaths rose to 70 in Northern Mindanao despite a relentless campaign by the local governments to flush out breeding grounds of the mosquitoes.
In Cagayan de Oro, its local government launched “Oplan Kontra Dengue” to enlist the help of all barangays to clean their backyards and drainage canals this Tuesday afternoon.
Dr. Ramon Nery, chief of the government-run JR Borja General Hospital said they have to open more wards to accommodate the dengue patients.
The Cagayan de Oro health office said the dengue cases in the city rose to 1,964 this week from 1,780 cases reported last week.
City Health Officer Dr. Fe Bongcas identified 10 barangays with the highest dengue incidence, namely: Canitoan, Lumbia, Balulang, Lapasan, Patag, Iponan, Bugo, Bulua, Macabalan and Macasandig.