By Nora Soriño
Iligan City Bureau Chief,
and Goni Loable
Iligan City — The Diyandi Festival formally opened Sunday afternoon.
The opening salvo for the festival was at the Diyandi Fiesta Park at Saray-Tibanga grounds which was marked with much fanfare as lechon and other gourmet delights were available in the said area “for everybody to partake.” But like the previous years, the partaking was not for the fainthearted as many who were not fast enough to get those goodies were not able to partake of them and grumbled on social media and on-air.
City officials were around, led by Mayor Celso Regencia who did the ribbon cutting. Earlier on Saturday though, the public was reminded by authorities that even in the process of enjoying, they must be safety conscious.
A “bomb drill” was made by the police under City Director Col. Michael Pareja on Saturday to the surprise of many as ambulances and sirens were also used to signify the “bombs.”
Curfew was also lifted for the adults, although for the minors curfew remained at 10:00 every night except when such minor was accompanied by some adult. Lifting of curfew, it was learned is from Sept. 1 to Oct. 15. There is still a liquor ban though every 12:00 midnight.
Meanwhile, Councilor Rudolph Charles Tamula, chair of the Diyandi Executive Management Board, reiterated that the city has waived the entrance fee to said park in response to memes on social media claiming that said waiving of entrance fees is “not true.”