Breaking News
Home | Mindanao | Holcim not yet off the hook, Sabal says

Holcim not yet off the hook, Sabal says

By LITO RULONA
Correspondent .

Officials from Misamis Oriental Sangguniang Panlalawigan declares that Holcim Philippines Inc. is not yet free of any responsibility on the issue of containers vans shipped from Australia who accordingly carried “Processed Engineered Fuels (PEFs).”

This was disclosed by Provincial Board (PB) member Gerardo Sabal III, chairman of the Committee on Environment yesterday that the alleged garbage coming from Australia is an alternative fuel yesterday.

Mas mayo nga klaro-hon kini nila sa usa ka formal nga investigation,” he said.

He said the SPs Committee on Environment is yet to call for a meeting particularly on the issue of alleged garbage coming from Australia which was declared by the Bureau of Custom as “misdeclared” cargoes.

He said a formal investigation in aide for legislation is still set for the month of July and it will be composed by the new set of members except for the chairmanship position.

Last month, containers from Australia arrive in Mindanao International Container Terminal in Tagoloan, Misamis Oriental, which carried wastes declared as PEF and consigned by Holcim Philippines.

However, the Bureau of Customs wanted it shipped back for “misdeclaration,” of goods but Holcim maintained that PEFs are environmentally non-hazardous.

“We are still waiting for comment coming from the Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR) Environmental Management Bureau that they themselves can manifest nga dili kadto hazardous ang ilang mga cargoes,” Sabal said. 

The SPs Committee on Environment is set to meet on the second week of July together with DENR-EMB, Bureau of Customs, Holcim Philippines and the provincial government of Misamis Oriental-legal office to clear things out on the issue.

“During the meeting, ma-klaro nato kung kanang ilang gi-ingon nga PEF dili ba kini hazardous. Mas mayo siguro right government agency ang mo-declare,” he said. 

He said if the shipment of PEF is not allowed by the DENR-EMB then is would be a responsibility and obligation of Holcim Philippines to return to its origin the garbage shipment.

“In one formal setting kini ma-declare once and for all but when the declaration is coming from Holcim then natural man kana kay ila man kana nga shipment,” he added.

Earlier, Frederic Vallat, Holcim Philippines’ vice president for Alternative Fuels and Alternative raw material and head of Geocyle, in a brief presentation during a media tour on Holcim’s plant in Lugait, Misamis Oriental on June 14, the Tariff Commission has classified the shipment as PEFs as stated in a document dated June 4.

The Tariff Commission, as stated in the document, described the shipment containing PEFs as “a plastic based fluffy fuel with high calorific value consisting by weight, 75-85 percent flexible plastics, paper and natural and hydrocarbon-based fibre, 7-15 percent hard plastics, 1-5 percent wood and <1-5 percent non-combustible inert material in the form of solid flakes (range of particle sizes less than 50 mm), mixed colors with natural odor.”

It further said that the PEF has the chemical analyses of gross calorific value of 5,700 to 7,200 kcal/kg, 15 percent ash content, 20 percent moisture, 1.5 percent sulfur and 1 percent chlorine.

Facebooktwitter

About mindanao goldstar daily

mindanao goldstar daily
TREND MAKER. Mindanao Gold Star Daily was established in 1989 to set ablaze a new meaning & flame to the local newspaper business. Throughout the years it continued its focus and interest in the rural areas & pioneered the growth of countryside journalism.

Check Also

PNP inaugurates new police station building in Manolo Fortich

By Oscar S. Ledesma Correspondent . Manolo Fortich, Bukidnon — The Philippine National Police has …