By LITO RULONA
and NITZ ARANCON
MISAMIS Oriental’s legislature reorganized its 27 committees even as it approved its new House rules on Monday.
The 18th Sangguniang Panlalawigan of Misamis Oriental, during its first session, approved the committee chairmanships and compositions.
As expected, members of the Padayon Pilipino took most of the chairmanship posts.
Provincial board member Vicent Pelaez has been named majority floor leader while provincial board member Wayne Militante is presiding officer pro tempore.
Misamis Oriental Vice Gov. Jeremy Jonahmar Pelaez said provincial board member Jerry Khu was chosen as minority floor leader and provincial board member Jessa Mugot was named as assistant minority floor leader.
Vice Gov. Pelaez said he had suggested that there would no longer be a majority or minority “kay dili man kami magkahiusa ana nga style.”
“Ang ato lagi nga magtinabanga na lamang kita pero wala ta’y mahimo kay majority ang nasunod,” he said.
Pelaez said he also wanted to chair the provincial board’s committee on sports development but the majority decided not to give the chairmanship to him.
Instead, the provincial board made Pelaez chairman of its committee on agrarian reform.
Provincial board member Gerardo Sabal III said the vice governor automatically sits as ex officio member of all the committees.
The resolution, authored by Sabal, named Liga ng mga Barangay Federation president and provincial board member Leonard Winstanley as chairman of the committee on barangay affairs.
Other committees and the chairpersons:
• committee on education, arts and culture – Sabal;
• committee on energy, transportation and communication – provincial board member Dexter Yasay;
• committee on environmental protection, ecology and natural resources – Sabal;
• committee on agriculture and food security – provincial board member Eric Khu;
• committee on human rights, public information and good government – Sabal;
• committee on finance and appropriation and budget – provincial board member Militante;
• committee on games and amusement – chaired by the Sangguniang Kabataan Federation president and provincial board member Kerwin Jess Nangcas Soldevilla;
• committee on health and sanitation – provincial board member Nancy Madjos;
• committee on housing, rural and urban development – Militante;
• committee on infrastructure, public works and public utilities – Madjos;
• committee on labor, unemployment and opportunities – provincial board member Mugot;
• committee on peace and order, public safety, police, military and jail matters – provincial board member Virgilia Dumadag;
• committee on provincial organization, structure and operation – provincial board member Vincent Pelaez;
• committee on rules, laws, ordinances and legal matters and privileges – provincial board member Vincent Pelaez;
• committee on tourism – provincial board member Sayre Mae Emano;
• committee on trade, commerce and industry, investment and entrepreneurship – provincial board member Khu;
• committee on ways and means – provincial board member Yasay;
• committee on women, children and family relations – provincial board member Madjos for the 2nd District and provincial board member Dumadag for the 1st District.
• committee on youth and sports development – Soldevilla;
• committee on cooperatives – Philippine Councilors’ League president and provincial board member Lilian Gallogo;
• committee on social services – Emano;
• committee on franchise and utilities – chaired by Philippine Councilors League president Lilian Gallogo;
• committee on indigenous peoples – IP representative;
• committee on senior citizens – Yasay;
• committee on climate change, mitigation and other Protection – Khu; and
• committee on fisheries and aquatic resources – Winstanley.