Breaking News
 
Home | Top Stories | NBI begins probe into Sokor garbage shipments

NBI begins probe into Sokor garbage shipments

By NITZ ARANCON
Correspondent . 

THE National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) has started its own investigation into the South Korean waste shipments to Misamis Oriental in an effort to make those responsible answer for what they did, an official of the Bureau of Customs said yesterday.

John Simon, customs collector at the Mindanao International Container Terminal  (MICT) in Tagoloan town, said the NBI is investigating officials and employees of the customs bureau and other government offices, and trying to find out how tons of wastes from South Korea were allowed to be brought in to the province.

The shipments were traced to the VNS Verde Soko Philippines Industrial Corp. that has a recycling facility at the Phividec Industrial Estate in Sta. Cruz, Tagoloan.

“Let’s just wait for the recommendation of the NBI,” Simon said.

Simon said the investigation would be prusued even after the wastes are shipped back to its port of origin in South Korea starting this weekend.

The customs bureau would spearhead what it called as “Goodbye Basura”ceremony at the MICT on Sunday morning, hours ahead of the scheduled arrival of a vessel that would bring the garbage back to South Korea.

Simon said the first shipment would cover 51 container vans of “household wastes” that have been piled up at the MICT since October last year.

He said the rest of the garbage that were brought to Sta. Cruz, Tagoloan, would be shipped back to South Korea by the end of January. These were brought in through a private port in Villanueva town in July last year.

Facebooktwitter

About mindanao goldstar daily

mindanao goldstar daily
TREND MAKER. Mindanao Gold Star Daily was established in 1989 to set ablaze a new meaning & flame to the local newspaper business. Throughout the years it continued its focus and interest in the rural areas & pioneered the growth of countryside journalism.

Check Also

POSE

Candidates to this year’s search for Miss Cagayan de Oro stike a pose during their ...

DISCLAIMER: We welcome fiery exchanges but we do not tolerate ad hominem attacks, casting criminal and false aspersion on our reporters and opinion writers. We reserve the right to delete, reproduce or modify comments posted on our website without prior notice.


POSTING RULES: Do not use obscenity. Stick to the topic discussed. Do not veer away from the discussion and be respectful at all times. Do not use CAPITAL LETTERS as this means shouting in the thread.