By JOEY NACALABAN
THE National Bureau of Investigation yesterday pressed charges against two Chinese men who were arrested for alleged child trafficking at Marco Hotel in Cugman on Sunday.
This came even as Regulatory and Complaints Board chairman Jose Edgardo Uy said he would recommend that the hotel be closed down.
Lawyer Patricio Bernales, NBI regional director, identified the suspects as Shen Zhi Quiang, 27, and Li Qui, 26.
Bernales accused the two Chinese of violating the Children’s Welfare Code before the City Prosecutor’s Office.
The two men are still detained at the NBI regional headquarters at presstime. They would however be sent to the city jail in Lumbia anytime soon.
The suspects were caught with seven minors, all female, and three young women inside a room of Marco Hotel over the weekend.
The minors and young women have been placed under the custody of the City Social Welfare Department.
Bernales said NBI investigators suspect that the Shen and Li were not alone, and that they have companions who are preying on minors in the city.
“Amo pa nang pagasusihon kay looy kaayo ang mabiktima nila ani,” Bernales said.
Uy cited why he would recommend the closure of the hotel — based on the Children’s Welfare Code, hotels, motels, inns, and similar establishments are obliged to register minors in logbooks.
“A log book is very important… This is to avoid human trafficking and prostitution cases against establishment owners,” Uy said.
He said RCB inspectors who did the rounds last month found out that many hotels, motels, and inns in the city do not have logbooks for minors.