Breaking News
Home | Top Stories | Ocon returns to DxCC; Canoy’s kids bring plaint to city council

Ocon returns to DxCC; Canoy’s kids bring plaint to city council

By CONG B. CORRALES
Associate Editor
and JIGGER J. JERUSALEM
with JOEY NACALABAN
Correspondents .

CONTROVERSIAL Ccouncilor Zaldy Ocon returned to the announcer’s booth of radio station DxCC yesterday, the same day the children of former mayor Reuben Canoy filed a complaint against the official before the city council’s blue ribbon committee.

Ocon resumed his daily program “Kuskos Batikos” at DxCC amid a firestorm triggered by his spat with the 90-year-old Canoy, his fellow broadcaster, over the councilor’s decision not to air the latter’s 10-minute commentary “Perspective” because of a coverage of a developing story over a week ago. A video clip showing Ocon, DxCC’s program director, berating and cussing at the aging politician cum broadcaster resulted in calls for the councilor’s ouster.

Ocon’s return to DxCC belied an earlier claim that the councilor was fired by the management of the Radio Mindanao Network.

DxCC insiders, who asked not be identified because they didn’t want to catch the ire of company executives or the Canoys, maintained that Ocon was never fired, and that he merely took a week-long leave of absence after what happened between him and Canoy at the lobby of VIP Hotel.

“He was fired only on Facebook. There was no formal order from the management to terminate his services,” one of DxCC’s broadcasters told the Gold Star Daily.

Another said Ocon opted to take the week off because his sugar level shot up.

The DxCC insiders said Ocon would not go on air today because he is scheduled to attend a Councilors’ League gathering in Cebu.

Canoy’s daughter Rhona said she was surprised that Ocon resumed his radio program when she thought that her cousin and network owner Eric Canoy fired Ocon last week.

“Nakurat ako. Iya pa gyud gi lock-an ang door. Wala ko kasulod sa booth,” said Rhona, adding that she was not able to do her father’s 10-minute “Perspective” yesterday morning.

Meanwhile, the children of Canoy took their plea to the city council. They asked the chairman of the blue ribbon committee, Councilor Lordan Suan, to start an investigation pertaining to Ocon’s actions against the ex-mayor at VIP Hotel lobby in the morning of June 7.

“Although the Councilor in question has already presented his excuse as to why he behaved in such an egregious manner, we are requesting that the Blue Ribbon/Ethics Committee look further into this matter since what we are protesting is not the occurrence itself but rather the behavior which was displayed by Councilor Ocon,” the complaint reads in part.

The complaint, dated June 14, was signed by Canoy’s children Rhona, Chet, Marc, and Don.

“It is our hope, should the Blue Ribbon/Ethics Committee find that the Councilor’s behavior is reprehensible, that the appropriate sanctions or measures be taken to hold him accountable under the laws of the Republic regarding the unbecoming conduct of public officials,” they stated.

Rhona Canoy said her family is also planning to file separate complaints against Ocon before the Department of Interior and Local Government, and the Department of Social Welfare and Development, among others.

Facebooktwitter

About mindanao goldstar daily

mindanao goldstar daily
TREND MAKER. Mindanao Gold Star Daily was established in 1989 to set ablaze a new meaning & flame to the local newspaper business. Throughout the years it continued its focus and interest in the rural areas & pioneered the growth of countryside journalism.

Check Also

Teacher activist red tagged anew

By JIGGER J. JERUSALEM Correspondent . A TEACHER and leader of the Alliance of Concerned …