Breaking News
 
Home | Top Stories | Pompee keeps mum: And then there was silence
Mayoral hopeful Jose Gabriel La Viña speaks to reporters when he filed his certificate of candidacy late last year. La Viña has responded to Mayor Oscar Moreno’s wager that he (Moreno) will resign if ex-mayor Vicente Emano wins in the race for the vice mayor’s post. La Viña says there is no need for Moreno to resign because he thinks he (La Viña) will win. (photo by JB Deveza)

Pompee keeps mum: And then there was silence

By SHIELA MAE BUTLIG
Correspondent
with DAVE ACHONDO
Staff member .

AND then there was silence.

Losing mayoral candidate Jose Gabriel La Viña has kept mum after Monday’s elections. All of a sudden, there was relative peace and tranquility in cyberspace, specifically in many of the pages about Cagayan de Oro politics that increasingly became toxic since October last year.

As of 4 pm yesterday, the tongue-lashing La Vina, who served as a social media director in President Duterte’s successful campaign in 2016, has yet to issue a statement about his chagrining loss to Moreno whom he has reportedly called “kawatan” just about anywhere whenever he was given an opportunity to speak. The reelectionist gave his challenger quite a beating, and won by a 66,477 margin — Moreno received 154,715 votes; La Viña had 88,238.

On Wednesday night, the city board of canvassers proclaimed Moreno, his running mate Vice Mayor Raineir Joaquin Uy, 1st District Rep. Rolando Uy and most members of their PDP-Laban ticket as the winning candidates in Monday’s elections.

This paper has been calling La Vina and his liaison to the media Nicole Managbanag since Wednesday. Calls were not returned, but La Viña sent a text message at around 1 pm yesterday and said he would be sending a statement. There was none as of 4 pm and his phone was turned off when this paper called.

Former councilor Alexander Dacer said La Vina appeared doing well when they saw each other during a gathering organized nine days after the death of former mayor Vicente Emano.

“Mao raman gihapon iyang nawong, wa man na stress,” said Dacer.

La Viña was unusually inactive in  his social media pages after election day until yesterday when he posted a video showing a mass officiated in time for the 9th day since Emano’s death at his home in Sta. Cecila in Gusa.

La Viña’s social media pages were very active leading towards election day with his political advertisements and promotional videos making rounds on the Internet. Until yesterday, his last post was made in May 13, showing him voting at the Misamis Oriental General Comprehensive High School (Mogchs). As of this writing, it had 130 reactions, 10 shares, 17 comments, and 1,700 thousand views on Facebook.

Facebooktwitter

About mindanao goldstar daily

mindanao goldstar daily
TREND MAKER. Mindanao Gold Star Daily was established in 1989 to set ablaze a new meaning & flame to the local newspaper business. Throughout the years it continued its focus and interest in the rural areas & pioneered the growth of countryside journalism.

Check Also

CRASH

Read the Latest News and Updates in Mindanao

DISCLAIMER: We welcome fiery exchanges but we do not tolerate ad hominem attacks, casting criminal and false aspersion on our reporters and opinion writers. We reserve the right to delete, reproduce or modify comments posted on our website without prior notice.


POSTING RULES: Do not use obscenity. Stick to the topic discussed. Do not veer away from the discussion and be respectful at all times. Do not use CAPITAL LETTERS as this means shouting in the thread.