By LITO RULONA
THREE provincial board members on Monday called on Malacañang to abolish the Philippine Veterans Investment Development Corp. (Phividec) and place the industrial estate in Misamis Oriental under the supervision of other government offices.
The call was made by provincial board members Borris Oliver Actub, Gerardo Sabal and President Elipe, a day after the send-off of over a thousand ton garbage returned to South Korea from the Misamis Oriental International Container Terminal in Tagoloan town.
The officials’ call was also prompted by the Phividec officials’ widely perceived snub of the summons of the provincial board that inquired about the controversial shipments of South Korean wastes to Misamis Oriental last year.
“We have so many concerns and issues against Phividec officials. Obviously, they refused to answer our calls,” said Actub.
Officials called for the implementation of Memorandum Order 87, dated Feb. 11, 2016, on the abolition of the Phividec corporation supposed to be undertaken by the Governance Commission for Government-Owned and -Controlled Corporations in coordination with the Department of National Defense.
Elipe said the memorandum from the Office of the President should be enough to “dismantle” the Phividec.
Based on the memorandum, the defense department and Philippine Veterans Affairs Office would dispose of Phividec’s assets while the Department of Finance would shoulder its financial obligations using the proceeds of its assets sale.
The Phividec was established through Presidential Decree 243 for the purpose of formulating and executing policies for the full and continued employment of the productive capabilities and investment of military veterans and retirees.
Provincial board member Sabal, chairman of the provincial board’s committee on environment, accused Phividec officials of misinforming the local governments of Tagoloan and Villanueva about the shipments of tons of wastes from South Korea.
Sabal said Phividec officials have long been ignoring the provincial government.
“Bisan gani anang issue sa tubig. Dili gihapon sila gabali-bali kung ipatawag,” he said.
The Phividec, he said, has allowed a number of companies to operate in the province without getting clearances from the town governments and even the capitol.
Provincial board members meanwhile lauded the Bureau of Customs, Department of Environment and Natural Resources, National Bureau of Investigation, local officials, and Misamis Oriental 2nd District Rep. Juliette Uy for the return of 51 container vans of wastes to South Korea on Sunday.
The provincial board passed a resolution, commending all their efforts to safeguard the province.
“Currently, we are trying to handle the bigger shipment of 5,100 tons together with BOC and DENR. Anytime this week, they will again call for another round of meetings together with the management of Phividec and the Verde Soko Philippines Industrial Corp.,” Sabal said.
Sabal said officials would pursue with the re-bagging of the remaining garbage delivered to Barangay Sta. Cruz, Tagoloan, and send these back to Pyeongtaek in South Korea anytime this month.
He said they will asked the enter-agency committee to fasttrack the process of returning the remaining garbage.