Breaking News
Home | Top Stories | Vets, agri execs want pork-entry ban in Oro, too
Misamis Oriental capitol employees slice pieces of grilled pork that they then gave to people during the “Farmers’ Market” at the capitol grounds Friday to show that pork from the province are safe and are free from the African Swine Fever. (photo by Jigger J. Jerusalem)

Vets, agri execs want pork-entry ban in Oro, too

By NITZ ARANCON
Correspondent .

AGRICULTURE and veterinary officials here over the weekend called on Mayor Oscar Moreno to order a ban on the entry of hogs and pork from other places without inspection certificates as a precautionary measure against the African Swine Fever (ASF).

City veterinarian Perla de Asis said this even as she announced that agriculture and veterinary officials, and hog industry stakeholders would meet with Moreno tomorrow.

De Asis said Moreno would be asked to issue an executive order for a Cagayan de Oro ban, an act that would be similar to what Misamis Oriental Gov. Yevgeny Vincente Emano did in the province last week.

According to de Asis, a ban would prevent the ASF from spreading from Rizal and Bulacan, and infecting hogs in the city.

She said an executive order by the mayor would ensure that the hog industry in the city would not be affected and the pigs, ASF-free.

De Asis said local agriculture and veterinary officials don’t want to take any chances, hence, the need for Moreno to issue an executive order that would prohibit the entry of hogs and pork, including those processed, into the city without inspection certificates.

She said agriculture and veterinary officials, representatives of other concerned government offices, and hog raisers would meet at the City Mayor’s Office tomorrow so they could agree of specific actions.

While the ASF won’t affect humans, de Asis said, “Mahurot gyud  nga mamatay ang mga baboy sa usa ka piggery kon dunay usa niini nga matakboyan sa ASF.”

She added: “Ma-o nang atong hatagan sa protection ang mga swine raisers kay de capital baya  nang ilang pagbuhi ug baboy.”

Facebooktwitter

About mindanao goldstar daily

mindanao goldstar daily
TREND MAKER. Mindanao Gold Star Daily was established in 1989 to set ablaze a new meaning & flame to the local newspaper business. Throughout the years it continued its focus and interest in the rural areas & pioneered the growth of countryside journalism.

Check Also

Local anti-communist campaign risky, says Esperon

By URIEL C. QUILINGUING, Contributing Editor NATIONAL Security Adviser Hermogenes Esperon said those who are …