By JOHN PAUL BARSOPIA
THE management of VIP Hotel has banned Councilor Zaldy Ocon over his spat with former mayor Reuben Canoy.
For making a scene at the hotel’s lobby Friday morning, Caprice Enterprises Inc.’s Human Resource and Development Department issued a memorandum that declared Ocon “persona non grata” or an unwelcome person.
The firm ordered all its security personnel to prohibit the councilor from entering the hotel for “harassing and insulting” the 90-year-old Canoy inside the hotel.
The hotel is owned by the Canoy family.
Incidentally, Ocon was also fired from radio station DxCC because of the incident. The station is owned by Radio Mindanao Network, a media company founded by Canoy’s late brother Henry. Its president now is Canoy’s nephew, Eric.
Meanwhile, Canoy’s daughter Rhona said her family would file charges against Ocon for “conduct unbecoming of a public official.”
The younger Canoy said her family was gathering more evidence against Ocon.
“We’re in a meeting at the moment,” she said when asked if her family was bent on pressing charges.
She said her family would likely submit complaints before the interior department, and the social welfare department given the way the councilor treated the aging former mayor.
Meanwhile, Cagayan de Oro Press Club president Jesus “Ritchie” Salloman sharply criticized Ocon over the way he treated ex-mayor Canoy.
Canoy is a former president of the COPC whom Salloman called a “lifetime member” and “one of the pillars of the club.”
“We condemn in the highest order the display of arrogance of Zaldy Ocon,” said Salloman.
In a video recording that went viral on social media, Ocon is seen berating and badmouthing the aging Canoy while the latter sat on a wheel chair. The two argued over Ocon’s decision not to air Canoy’s 10-minute “Perspective” program on Friday morning supposedly because of a coverage of a developing story. Until last week, Ocon served as DxCC’s program director.