Dad claims Oro ‘encroached’ into Iligan area
A city councilor here, in a statement yesterday to reporters, said that Cagayan de Oro city “has encroached” the area that rightfully belongs to this city.
Nora Soriño is a veteran and pioneering correspondent for Mindanao Gold Star Daily based in Iligan City and the papers Bureau Chief. With decades of reporting experience, Nora has become a trusted voice in Northern Mindanao, covering governance, community issues, and local history. Her work provides a critical on-the-ground perspective that strengthens the publication’s regional news coverage.
408 stories
A city councilor here, in a statement yesterday to reporters, said that Cagayan de Oro city “has encroached” the area that rightfully belongs to this city.
Tignapoloan village chief Nancy Aban added that the three residents in her village had been released loans amounting to P250,000 each but they were able to receive only P120,000 each.
Nancy Aban, who introduced herself as barangay chair of Tignapuloan, Cagayan de Oro City, said that the “mission” was composed of personnel from this city of Iligan. She named Doris Barsomo and Ian Uy as among those who came to the said “mission.” Barsomo, to note, is a regular employee of the city under the City Mayor’s Office while Uy is a city councilor who had just filed his Certificate of Candidacy for vice mayor here.
Some even suspected that this was the cause why councilor Lamberto Macapagal, the Sangguniang Panlungsod chair of the Committee on Health, did not file for another term for councilor. He is with the “red” team of Mayor Celso G. Regencia, to note. Although Vice Mayor Jemar Vera Cruz is all praises for Macapagal.
It was then learned that the license from DOH is for the period October 21 to December 31 of this year. The total cost of such lab is around P25 million, the councilor said.
Once regarded as the crown jewel not only of this city but of Mindanao and of the country as well, now NSC has become just a memory. “Some good things never last,” as a song goes. As in “Nothing lasts forever,” goes the title of a novel by Sidney Sheldon.

In a statement on-air yesterday, former City Mayor Lawrence Ll. Cruz said he has been infected with Covid-19. He said it started with a fever on Sept. 27.
The “pulahan” or the “red” team led by Mayor Celso G. Regencia were filing their Certificates of Candidacy ― with all the sound and attention they could muster. Hence those remarks as they passed through major city streets here. Pandemic or no pandemic, they’ve got to have a show of force!

“It’s the police that must do some explaining regarding the matter, not the IATF,” the director added.

Many of the passengers carried with them red-colored flags and or red balloons. The four-wheeled vehicles bore the numbers 15-O with the “15” colored red and the “0” colored blue in obvious reference to the team of Congressman Frederick Siao which are running for the same positions as theirs.
“But the number that concerns many is that triple six ― as in 666. You get it when one gets vaccinated ― and you know whose number it is.” I couldn’t tell if my friend was serious or not, although she smiled that lopsided smile of hers.
Lawyer Leo Zaragoza told reporters that his team, which is called “Alyansa sa Bag-ong Iligan,” that they held a motorcade at noon today.