CAGAYAN DE ORO CITY — The Police Regional Office-10 (PRO-10) on Monday assured the public that the recent acid-throwing incident in Barangay Carmen was an isolated case, even as it warned vloggers and social media users against spreading misleading information online.
The incident happened along Villarin Street where a motorcycle rider and his female companion were injured after an unidentified suspect allegedly threw a chemical substance believed to be acid.
The attack triggered alarm among residents after several social media posts claimed that serial acid attacks were occurring across the city.
But PRO-10 Regional Director Christopher Abrahano clarified during a press conference that the victims were specifically targeted.
“That is an isolated case. The victims were targeted, hindi siya random. So, we assure the people of Cagayan de Oro City na huwag kayong matakot,” Abrahano said, adding that the suspects have already been identified.
Abrahano reminded vloggers who posted claims of alleged serial acid attacks to be responsible in sharing information online, pointing out that spreading verified information is the best way to combat fake news.
Meanwhile, PRO-10 also clarified circulating posts about the killing incident in Initao, Misamis Oriental, where some social media pages alleged that a murder case had already been filed against a certain politician.
PRO-10 spokesperson Joan Navarro said authorities are still building the case and will not yet disclose the name of the person of interest.
“We are now coordinating with our legal team regarding those misleading news articles,” Navarro said Thursday.





