Home | Cagayan de Oro | Council okays P5.5-billion budget for Oro

Council okays P5.5-billion budget for Oro

By NITZ ARANCON
Correspondent

THE city council yesterday approved a P5.5-billion budget for city hall for this year, P300 million lesser than what was proposed by Mayor Oscar Moreno but P1 billion more than last year’s budget.

The city’s legislature also approved the extension of the renewal of business permits from Jan. 20, 2018 to Jan. 31, 2018.

At the same time, the city council also gave taxpayers adversely affected by storm “Vinta” a 20-percent discount on real property taxes.

The 2018 budget was approved without an objection on the motion of Councilor Ian Mark Nacaya on behalf of the city council committee of the whole that deliberated on Moreno’s proposal.

But four councilors were absent — Enrico Salcedo who left for the US, Leon Gan, Nadya Elipe and Yam Lam Lim.

Those who favored it were councilors Nacaya, George Goking, Teodulfo Lao Jr., Reuben Daba, Romeo Calizo, Ma. Lourdes Gaane, Jay Pascual, Zaldy Ocon, Suzette Daba, Annie Daba, Dometilo Acenas, and Lourdan Suan.

Of the P5.5 billion, P5.1 billion would be for the executive departments while the remaining P400 million would be for city hall’s economic enterprises, according to Councilor Lao.

Lao said the 2018 budget is based on city hall’s actual revenues last year. The city hall budget last year was P4.5 billion, a billion pesos lesser than this year’s approved budget.

Councilors said they reduced it by some P300 million but slashing “a little of everything,” including the budgets for infrastructure, health, and social services, among others.

Facebooktwitter

About mindanao goldstar daily

mindanao goldstar daily
TREND MAKER. Mindanao Gold Star Daily was established in 1989 to set ablaze a new meaning & flame to the local newspaper business. Throughout the years it continued its focus and interest in the rural areas & pioneered the growth of countryside journalism.

Check Also

Massage clinics close down due health body’s indecision

By LITO RULONA Correspondent . AT least 80 masseuse lost their jobs after several Spa ...

DISCLAIMER: We welcome fiery exchanges but we do not tolerate ad hominem attacks, casting criminal and false aspersion on our reporters and opinion writers. We reserve the right to delete, reproduce or modify comments posted on our website without prior notice.


POSTING RULES: Do not use obscenity. Stick to the topic discussed. Do not veer away from the discussion and be respectful at all times. Do not use CAPITAL LETTERS as this means shouting in the thread.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *