Home | Davao | Paolo Duterte a big loss to city council

Paolo Duterte a big loss to city council

DAVAO City — A city councilor and political party-mate of resigned Vice Mayor Paolo Duterte finds it unfortunate to lose a good leader in the city council but, he is optimistic the councilors would stay united for the people of the city.

This developed after President Rodrigo Duterte accepted the resignation of his son, Davao City Vice Mayor Paolo Duterte late last week.

In his letter dated Jan. 5, Executive Secretary Salvador Medialdea informed Vice Mayor Duterte that the President has accepted his resignation on Friday afternoon.

The 42-year-old vice mayor said he wanted to resign out of “delicadeza” after he was dragged into a P6.4-billion smuggling controversy and squabble with her daughter, Isabelle, on social media.

Councilor Conde Baluran finds it unfortunate considering the good legacy of the vice mayor.

Baluran also cited a number of programs initiated by the vice mayor to improve the work of the city council. He said Paolo had instilled discipline in the city council, such as to always report on time during the council sessions.

Before he became vice mayor, the younger Duterte served as barangay chairman of Catalunan Grande in the city’s first district from 2007 to 2013, and as chair of the Association Barangay Chairperson Davao City from 2008 to 2013.

The Local Government Code of 1991 (RA 7160), states: “If a permanent vacancy occurs in the office of the governor or Mayor, the vice- governor or vice-mayor concerned shall become the governor or Mayor. If a permanent vacancy occurs in the offices of the governor, vice-governor, Mayor, or vice-mayor, the highest ranking Sanggunian member or, in case of his permanent inability, the second highest ranking Sanggunian member, shall become the governor, vice-governor, Mayor or vice-mayor, as the case may be. Subsequent vacancies in the said office shall be filled automatically by the other Sanggunian members according to their ranking as defined herein.” (davaotoday.com with reports from mindanews)

Facebooktwitter

About mindanao goldstar daily

mindanao goldstar daily
TREND MAKER. Mindanao Gold Star Daily was established in 1989 to set ablaze a new meaning & flame to the local newspaper business. Throughout the years it continued its focus and interest in the rural areas & pioneered the growth of countryside journalism.

Check Also

CLOSED PARK

Read the Latest News and Updates in Mindanao

DISCLAIMER: We welcome fiery exchanges but we do not tolerate ad hominem attacks, casting criminal and false aspersion on our reporters and opinion writers. We reserve the right to delete, reproduce or modify comments posted on our website without prior notice.


POSTING RULES: Do not use obscenity. Stick to the topic discussed. Do not veer away from the discussion and be respectful at all times. Do not use CAPITAL LETTERS as this means shouting in the thread.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *